Growing cannabis indoors using artificial light is economical and can produce significant yields. You can utilize various methods to increase the amount of marijuana your crop yields. One technique is the Sea of Green (SOG) approach.
It entails cultivating many tiny plants instead of a few larger ones. SOG has its benefits, including a shorter vegetative phase, less space, and maximizing your lighting’s efficacy. Indoor weed growers know their power bills are higher than the national average. SOG won’t reduce your costs, but it might help you grow more marijuana.
This article comprehensively describes SOG and provides ideas and suggestions for getting the most out of it.
Sea of Green Method (SOG)
SOG is a less-burdensome growing method that entails growing many little plants in a small space. As the name implies, your produce will resemble a sea of green plants. This strategy also results in a shortened growth period for those applying it. Thus, they will be able to increase the number of harvests per year. The sea of green method enables you to push your crops into the flowering stage early. This is because just half of the crops’ full size is necessary for cola development. Additionally, it also shortens the flowering process.
Due to the small space available, only tiny growing rooms are needed. It also assists you in getting the most out of your grow lights.
Valuable Tips for the SOG Technique
Below are a couple of things to keep in mind with regards to SOG;
- The role of genetics is crucial. Don’t opt for a plant that grows big and bushy because you’ll be cramming many of them there.
- Pick a plant that does not stretch in the beginning stages of flowering. Choose a flowering plant that blooms quickly.
- Confirm that all the cuttings you utilize are the same size and derived from the same parent plant at the same development stage. Ideally, use cuttings between 3 and 6 inches long with actively growing tips.
- If you’re going to use the SOG technique, avoid using seeds. This is because the seeds will ultimately lead to plants of varying heights.
- Ensure you utilize at least four plants for the SOG approach to work. However, be cautious not to use too many to avoid more branch growth but reduce bud production.
- Indica strains are the best choice since they have a single central cola and grow short. If you’re going to adopt sativa, ensure you top it a few days before forcing it to blossom.
- Use many grow tents to attain the best outcomes. The distinct chambers are essential since each chamber has a different light schedule.
Step by Step Guide to SOG
Time required: 45 days, 12 hours, and 5 minutes.
Sprout seeds or obtain cuttings to make clones.
Grow them under light for 18 to 24 hours until they attain a height of 10 to 12 inches.
Space the crops at roughly 1 or 2 plants per square foot and alter the illumination to 12/12 to accelerate flowering.
When a thick canopy of buds emerges, remove the branches below the thick canopy and utilize them for clones.
Pick when you’re ready
Size of Pots for SOG Approach
A SOG pot size with a 4-6-liter capacity is suitable, and the compact container size enables you to cram more plants into your growing zone than usual. Sea of green experts frequently uses square plant pots to maximize their area and squeeze in as many crops as possible.
Number of Plants to Grow Per Square Foot Using SOG
Your sea of green growth space’s size will determine how many plants you can plant per square meter. Once you’ve factored in that, you can choose how many crops you desire to have and the pot sizes. However, most specialists advise planting only one plant per square meter or, at most, two. Also, ensure every plant has enough soil for its roots to thrive.
Advantages of the Sea of Green Method
- Indica strains thrive in this environment.
- It’s ideal for industrial or large-scale growers who don’t have the time to care for each plant and the necessary upkeep structures.
- This is a straightforward growth approach because no training or trimming is needed.
- It’s a great way to produce large yields with small spaces.
- Shorter grow cycles enable regular substantial yields
- It makes better use of space and extends the light reach
- Trimmings can help to make future clones.
Suitable Marijuana Varieties for SOG Method
Some of the most suitable variants you can grow to include; the Hindu Kush, Super Skunk Afghani #1, and—due to its strength—the traditional Northern Lights. If you opt for Marijuana seeds, ensure they are of identical variants.
The SOG approach to marijuana cultivation promotes increased yields per square meter and faster harvesting. You can push your plants to blossom in a few weeks. You’ll also get top-quality buds ahead of someone cultivating cannabis naturally.
It’s a labor-intensive growth approach, but it should be pretty seamless after the plants reach the flowering phase. However, it would be best if you exercised caution not to adopt too many plants to avoid overcrowding and depriving the lower portions of the plants of sufficient light. There’s also the small issue of unwittingly violating the law by cultivating too much cannabis!